Orgeat syrup recipe & Mai Tai recipe
I've been experimenting with Mai Tais, and I felt I really had to make the orgeat from scratch to give it a fair shake, and boy was I right.
Here's the recipe I used for orgeat:
- 2 1/4 cups raw, sprouted almonds
- 1/4 tsp. orange blossom water
- 1 oz. vodka
- 1/2 cup sugar
Soak the almonds in a bowl in 3-4 cups water for 30 minutes, then drain - discard the water.
Coarsely chop the almonds in a food processor.
Return the almonds to the bowl and cover with 3 cups water.
Soak for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
Strain through cheesecloth into a jar.
Add sugar, and shake occasionally for 15 minutes or until all sugar is dissolved.
Add orange blossom water and vodka.
Store in the fridge.
If you try making it, cut that in half at least, or you'll be up to your ears in orgeat.
Now, on to the Mai Tai! I'm pretty happy with this version, but I'm still experimenting.
- 1 oz. light rum
- 1 oz. dark rum
- 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier or some other orange liqueur like Cointreau or orange curaçao.
- 1/2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice (about half a lime.)
- 1/2 oz. orgeat
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup (heat equal parts sugar and water until all dissolved, store in fridge)
Combine all ingredients and stir or shake, in a glass with ice. If you like, float another 1/2 oz. dark rum on top.